Gingerbread is a popular holiday treat, and can be used to make Gingerbread cookies and houses. Here is a recipe we’ve tried and liked and have had some success with. Hope you enjoy!
Old Fashioned Gingerbread Recipe
Write a review
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine the dry ingrediets of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a separate large bowl, using a mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and egg until smooth.
- Add molasses and vanilla, blend with mixer.
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients until forming a cookie dough consistency.
- Create two large balls from the dough and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for three hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line cookie baking trays with parchment paper.
- Starting with a small amount of dough, sprinkle flour on your table and rolling pin and roll flat with a rolling pin - about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutter to cut out shapes, such as the ever popular gingerbread man and woman.
- Bake for about 7-9 minutes at 375 degrees. When finished baking, allow cookies to cool before transferring to wax paper or wire cookie rack.